"It’s not a clause in everybody’s contract but there are a number of players who did want a clause that said that should Craig Whyte either retain or regain control of the club then they would be entitled to a free transfer.
“That’s in there for a number of them. More than a handful have that in their contracts, the ones who have most likely got value.
“What the senior players are saying is that if this football club moves into the hands of somebody they trust then they want to remain at Rangers. It should not be seen as the players taking an opportunity to get themselves away for free transfer.
“They’re saying, like everybody else here, we’ve been through a lot and we’re not happy with what’s gone on and what we don’t want is for this to continue and to be stuck in a club where we don’t want to be without a break from our contract.
“So you’re asking us to make a big contribution – well, we need to have flexibility.
“If they get the new owner they want then there is no reason why they can’t speak to that new owner about how the contracts are varied again.
“Let’s talk about what the alternative would have looked like – there was mention over the last week of between eight and 11 players being made redundant.
"Those numbers were quite right, but even after we had made eight-11 redundancies we would have still needed a 50 per cent pay cut from the players who remained.
“If those cuts had not been made – and I couldn’t do the sums until now – we would have been looking at cuts of up to 20 players in total. We were looking at complete decimation of the squad.”
All the sacrifices will have been in vain, from the point of view of players and fans alike, if Whyte is able to profit in any way from the turmoil he has brought upon a world-famous institution. Clark, though, was bullish about the likely outcome of administration.
“We’ve seen no evidence whatsoever of any investment by Craig Whyte into Rangers Football Club. We can’t see how he can have any secured creditor status, so we think his position is limited – we’re making the decisions, not him.
“The fact that he has had to come in and supply us with information doesn’t mean he is part of any decision-making process. He has no rights, in my view, to Ibrox or Murray Park.
“The only rights he could possibly have over Ibrox and Murray Park is if his secured creditor status was proved and he had any value to it. He doesn’t have any value.
“So if he’s not a secured creditor he’s no rights to Ibrox or Murray Park. Look at the bigger picture – the SFA have announced that he is not a fit and proper person in accordance with the SFA’s rules and therefore he couldn’t come back. And we never thought he was coming back.”
Clark also confirmed Telegraph’ Sports disclosure that Dundee United are not certain of getting their share of the gate money from their Scottish Cup tie last month, money which is now the subject of an official SFA complaint.
“At the moment we have made no commitment to pay it and there is no immediate intention to commit to paying it,” he said.
“We’re still in discussion with SFA about it. I was due to have a conversation with them about it on Friday, but because of everything else, that conversation didn’t take place.”
Meanwhile, Rangers are set to announce a scheme to allow supporters to donate money to help the club through the administration process.
Rangers invited supporters’ club representatives to a meeting at Ibrox to discuss the proposed Rangers Fans Fighting Fund.
Former Rangers defender Sandy Jardine represented the club at the meeting, which he described as “very positive”.
Jardine refused to comment in detail, but he confirmed the club would make an announcement early next week.
John McMillan, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters’ Association, told BBC Radio Scotland: “It was a positive meeting. There are signs that things are happening now.
“It’s a bit more positive and everyone is pulling together, the fans are pulling together.”