Non merci: Only 17 per cent of British women thought French men - like this loyal football supporter - were the best at chatting up
French men may have a reputation for wooing the ladies, but a new study shows that it is actually Brits - with their terrible chat up lines - who are more successful at chatting up women.
British men are also surprisingly considered better at cooking than the French...although both nations were left in the shade by Italians.
Thirty-five per cent of British women thought that Italian men were the best at chatting up - they topped the leader board.
In comparison, 22 per cent thought British men were the best at chatting up, and 17 per cent favoured the French.
Stephen Hull, Brand Development Director of Giovanni Rana, who conducted the study, said: 'What the research clearly revealed is that while Brits now trump the French when it comes to seduction, the smooth-talking gastronomic Italians are still streets ahead of both of them.
'This is perhaps less surprising, when you take into account the 10 per cent of British men who confessed to using self-help manuals to improve their pulling power.'
Perfect date: Italy was the most popular choice for a romantic getaway for almost half of women
UP YOUR GAME: TALK LIKE AN ITALIAN
- Do you come here often? Vieni spesso qui?
- How you doin'? Come stai?
- Is it hot, or is it just because you are here? Fa caldo qui, o è perchè ci sei tu?
- What's a nice girl like you doing in a dirty mind like mine? Che fa una ragazza perbene come te in una mente sporca come la mia?
- My underwear is edible. Le mie mutande sono commestibili
Brits still have some way to go, though. Some admitted to using terrible lines including ‘you alright, you old trout’, or ‘your haircuts makes your face look really round’.
Those who are struggling to hold onto a woman beyond a first date should consider taking love interests to Italian restaurants. Almost half (48 per cent) of women see pizza and pasta as the natural fit for a romantic tête-à-tête.
Less expected, however, was British food coming a close second.
Should that romantic dinner date crucially lead to an idyllic weekend away for two, again Italy was the most popular choice for almost half of women.
Despite its weather, Britain came second as a choice of romantic getaway with 29 per cent of the votes, followed by France (15 per cent) and sunny Spain (5 per cent).
HAVE YOU EVER USED ANY OF THESE CHAT UP LINES?
British men and women were asked if they had ever used chat-up lines. Here's what they said:
- Get your coat, you've pulled - 12 per cent
- Is that a ladder in your tights or a stairway to heaven? Eight per cent
- You must be tired because you've been running through my mind all day - 7 per cent
- Did it hurt? When you fell from Heaven - 5 per cent
- None of the above - 72 per cent