Adel Sambrano Ramos is identified by Local news outlets as shooting dead a rookie cop Tara O'Sullivan

Adel Sambrano Ramos ,45, who has a long history of violence against women who is accused of shooting dead a rookie cop Tara O'Sullivan, 26, and firing at officers who tried to rescue her for 45 minutes

Adel Sambrano Ramos is identified by Local news outlets  as shooting dead a rookie cop Tara O'Sullivan
Adel Sambrano Ramos and Tara O'Sullivan pictured

The Sacramento gunman arrested for allegedly killing a female police officer has been identified as a 45-year-old father-of-two and a grandfather with a long history of violence against women.

Police say officer Tara O'Sullivan, 26, was helping a woman gather her belongings to move out of a home in the North Sacramento neighborhood when she was shot on Wednesday evening.

Sgt. Vance Chandler said an armored vehicle was brought in to rescue the wounded officer, but it took more than 45 minutes to get her to a hospital because the gunman kept firing a rifle.

The standoff in the 500 block of Redwood Avenue ended early Thursday morning when the suspect surrendered to police.

The Sacramento Police Department officially identified the suspect late Thursday afternoon as 45-year-old Adel Sambrano Ramos.

Online jail records show Ramos was booked into the county's mail jail facility at 5.55am on counts of felony murder and misdemeanor battery.

The 5-foot-9, 185-pound Ramos is being held without bail pending his next court appearance scheduled for June 24.  

According to reporting from the Sacramento Bee, Ramos has a criminal record dating back to at least 1995, which includes multiple charges of domestic violence and battery, theft and DUI.

His most recent run-in with the law preceding Wednesday's incident took place last September, when he was arrested for allegedly attacking a young woman at the same home on Redwood Avenue where the police standoff took place overnight.

In that case, Ramos was charged with 'willfully and unlawfully [using] force and violence.' Given that the charge was a misdemeanor, Ramos was released pending a trial and barred from having contact with the victim.

A warrant for his arrest in that case was issued on June 10.

Records indicate that Ramos was accused by his wife of domestic violence in 2003.

In April 2007, Ramos again was accused of the same crime targeting another woman.

On Thursday, the man's estranged wife, Sarah Ramos, told the Sacramento Bee that he was a good man and a good father to their two children. The couple, who had been married for a decade before separating, also have a granddaughter.

Ramos' neighbor told the paper that the 45-year-old murder suspect has always been polite, and enjoyed hunting and fishing. 

O'Sullivan had only been a police officer for six months when she was killed, after graduating from the force's police academy in December.

Chandler said nobody else was hurt and the woman who was being helped by the officer escaped unharmed.

'Our officers maintained cover in safe positions until we were able to get an armored vehicle in the area,' said Sgt. Vance Chandler.

KTXL-TV reported that the officer was hit and then pinned down in a yard.

The network added that officers tried to reach her, but a man with a rifle was shooting from another home.

The gunfire kept O'Sullivan's colleagues away for 45 minutes.

Stephen Nasta, a professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice and a former inspector with the New York Police Department, said taking 45 minutes to reach a wounded officer was 'unacceptable.'

If officers couldn't immediately get an armored police vehicle to the scene, he said, they should have commandeered a bank armored vehicle, bus or heavy construction equipment.

'If there's somebody shot, lying on the ground, you have to do everything you can,' Nasta said.

If no such vehicle was available, he said he would expect officers to use a diversionary tactic such as firing at the home, deploying smoke grenades or breaking a door or window in another part of the home to distract the gunman as other officers rescued the downed officer.

Just before 7pm, officer O'Sullivan was brought to UC Davis Medical Center, where she later succumbed to her injuries following surgery.

The suspect continued firing at officers through the night. Sometime after 11pm, a police negotiator was able to make contact with the gunman after delivering a cell phone to him by a robot, reported Sacramento Bee.